Thursday, August 17, 2017

The Flood



They've taken down the 
shining light, and the
river, has returned to its
blackened, hidden self.


In that place of dreams,
night beds down, slow
forgetting tides and flow,
calling to the darkness,


arched as innocent surrender,
true to sightless possibility,
nothing seen, just imagined,
sounds of suckling mud,


as it flows, out of sight,
drifting in that sure way 
of pure, and endless being, 
as I step into the dream and


have no questions, for all
may yet be made ready,
for the chill kiss of dawn,
revealing what has been


born in ebony caverns, those 
 ephemeral figures creep,
drawn from Akashic realms,
dipping trailing fingers


into the wash of waves;
allowing the drown of 
becoming, to release, 
bequeath, unknown treasures.


'What have you found?' 
The voice rides liquid crests,
somnolent, searching, sighing,
at the breast of Soul; in

deliquescent dressing drench
of formless, rich potential. 
'I found myself,' even though
I had not known I was lost.

 Evening moon glittering
on strewn harvest of 
luscious river weeds, torn
from their beds, and shaken

across the flooded earth,
dressing muddy realms, in
stalk, leaf and frond of now
slow rotting death and life.

http://poetryblogroll.blogspot.com.au/2017/08/poets-united-midweek-motif-flood.html?spref=fb



12 comments:

  1. Such wonderful imagery, to envision as one reads your poem. So well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. allowing the drown of / becoming," & "I found myself,' even though / I had not known I was lost." .....This reminds me of meditation and being lost in some profound thought to rediscover one self. Love how you've used the prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow amazing imagery. A fantastic poem

    ReplyDelete
  4. "In that place of dreams,
    night beds down, slow
    forgetting tides and flow,
    calling to the darkness,

    arched as innocent surrender,
    true to sightless possibility,
    nothing seen, just imagined,
    sounds of suckling mud,"

    The river, not so innocent, yet detached from its harm. I love the parallel to meditation and dream, to entering the dark and finding something deeper. Sometimes it feels the flood itself does that, but truly, we are changed when the waters recede again. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like this one. It seemed almost sensuous to me. Telling us to mind the balance of life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many glorious lines in this Roslyn! I especially love: "have no questions, for all
    may yet be made ready,
    for the chill kiss of dawn,
    revealing what has been" the true writing of a poet. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh so many finely-drawn word pictures. What a pleasure to absorb ... and deliquescent .. ah, now, that's special!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks to everyone who took the time to read and comment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Incredible imagery! This narrative reads like a flood - amazing.

    ReplyDelete