Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Saying goodbye



Not knowing who I was
I spoke falsehood to myself
and to you, and the lies bred well
until there was no way to tell
who I might have been.

It was not done to deceive,
but to survive;
there seemed no other way
to be; the choice was made
by other, unseen me’s.

They come now,
to introduce themselves,
after all this time
to make themselves known;
because they must.

I welcome them, but there is fear
because I had not known
how many stayed within;
because I had not suspected,
how much of me they lived.

They come to me now
because you have grown so old and weak
that I know you wish to leave
and I must prepare to take your place
as oldest Daughter.

I seem surrounded by so many voices,
I understand now, how it was for you;
there was less time and help for you
to find your way and so you fell.

I have had angels by my side
And they have taken your place
And held my hand;
There has been much given.

It could have been the same for you,
or perhaps it could not.
I shall never know in this world
and neither will you.

I ask only that I may look upon your life
With understanding and with love.

No comments:

Post a Comment